Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Overview of "Maximum Strength" by Eric Cressey

Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey

Eric Cressey's program "Maximum Strength" can be found out here: http://www.ericcressey.com/maximumstrength.html

I will be starting this program come this Saturday. Here is a very brief overview of the 16 weeks program:
1.) It is a 16 week program broken up into 4 mesocycles.
2.) Each mesocycle lasts for 4 weeks.
3.) Each mesocycle is comprised of heavy, medium, very heavy and low volume weeks respectively.
4.) It is a typical powerlifting type upper-lower split.
5.) Exercises (all exercises) are rotated every mesocycle.
6.) However, each workout within that mesocycle is different from the previous one in terms of sets and reps.
7.) Base maxes must be found for the box squat, deadlift, military press, broad jump and a 3 rep max for the pull-up.
8.) The program consists of 4 workouts per week.
9.) There is no "loading" or "accumulating" part in any mesocycle. Your job is to go balls to the wall right from day one.

Ok, so having said this, the way I am going to arrange the workouts is like this:
Saturday: Lower 1
Sunday: Upper 1
Tuesday: Lower 2
Thursday: Upper 2

I begin this coming Saturday - 31st May, 2008.

My base maxes for the program are:
Deadlift: 365 lbs
Box Squat: 315 lbs
Military Press: 160 lbs
Pull-up 3RM: +25 lbs
Broad Jump: 6.5 feet

As I have mentioned before, I am not going to be posting exact workouts. It is unfair to Mr. Cressey who has personally helped me with several questions (like replacing bench press with military press, etc) personally for me to post his entire program out here. However, if this program works, I hope some of you do purchase the book.

So, my next workout will be on Saturday. I hope everyone has a good week